Initial Ideas - Fitting Room SOS

This idea stemmed from a recent trip to buy lingerie for myself and the annoyance I felt when I tried something on and rather than just rely on looking in the mirror I decided to take a snap on my phone. When I looked back at the picture, I looked completely different on my phone as to what I was seeing in the mirror in front of me, which made me think - which is the truer image and what do other people see?

The Idea
My idea was to have a hidden camera that takes a photograph of you in your lingerie or swimwear and shows it back to you as a life-size image on a full-length screen(as though you're looking in a mirror). You would then be able to save the photo (if you so wished) or delete it. Being able to take a photograph instead of just relying on a mirror would help especially with swimwear because you expect to be photographed when you're on holiday and want to make sure you're wearing the right style/shape swimwear which is flattering.

I done a bit of research to see if anything similar exists already and found this 'magic mirror fitting room' in the USA...

Macy's Magic Fitting Room
This is an innovative project which was to connect iconic departments Macy's to a younger demographic - digital savvy customers through social networks. They created an interactive fitting-room environment, which was
When you like what you see, you can share your new outfit on your social media network i.e. Facebook attracting instant opinions from people that matter you you.
This campaign was a success as in just six weeks there were more than 16,000 magical fitting sessions with two thirds using social media to share their experience with family and friends. Brand awareness increased thanks to global press and blog coverage and the buzz across the fashion world.

Although I wouldn't recommend something like this for my lingerie idea, it does show how this new technology in retail although probably costly, is very effective in the long-run and engages directly with the primary target customer and secondary customers too.

Moving forward...
I haven't explored this further because although I strongly believe something like this should exist, I think I would be opening up a HUGE can of worms on body image in the media etc. Also, as I am wanting to create something that doesn't exist I am not really a technology girl and don't think I would be able to keep the momentum of this project up throughout without finding myself at dead ends for example finding the costings of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment